12 Ways to Get Your House in Tip Top Shape Prior to Selling And Maximize your Return on Investment!Most sellers want to know what the secret is to get their home show ready, so they appeal to most
12 Ways to Get Your House in Tip Top Shape Prior to Selling!
Dated: September 17 2021
12 Ways to Get Your House in Tip Top Shape Prior to Selling And Maximize your Return on Investment!
Most sellers want to know what the secret is to get their home show ready, so they appeal to most buyers and get the maximum return on their investment. Here are a few ideas that you should consider:
1. Paint the Interior! If there is nothing else you do, this one is most important! A fresh coat of paint is the least amount you can spend and it will likely get you full return on your investment! A fresh coat of paint will help brighten rooms and give a new clean appearance. Stay away from bold and bright colors and focus more on lighter and softer neutral tones. This will also help make the rooms feel larger and appeal to a bigger group of potential buyers.
2. Reduce and Declutter! Rooms with too much furniture or decorations can often detract from the showing of your home. Usually too much décor can make the rooms look smaller and hurt your chances of selling your home. Store unneeded furniture or items that you can do without during the marketing stage of your property listing. Buyers want to see rooms that appear and look spacious to them, so your goal is to make your property look spacious and comfortable.
3. Depersonalize! This is a tough one, but SO important! Take time to remove all personal items from walls and shelves, including all family photos etc. Leaving these items on display out will distract from the showing of your home, buyers focus on those instead of the house and rooms. Pack everything away, leaving only neutral and minimal artwork. Your goal is to make your property look move-in ready to potential buyers.
4. Hire Cleaners! Let’s face it, we all get busy and sometimes it’s difficult to do a good and thorough cleaning…consider hiring professional cleaners, especially if your home has pets. A clean smell could add “thousands” to the sales price of your home.
5. Have your Carpets and Floors Done! It’s a good idea to have your carpets cleaned or your hardwood floors redone. This is not too expensive and can usually add a lot of appeal to potential buyers.
6. Remove & Replace Broken Windows & Blinds! Have a broken window that you’ve been putting off or blinds that no longer function/open…these can be a huge turn off to buyers so take the time to remove or replace prior to listing. When your property is in tip top shape and ready to show you want to open blinds and windows so that you have as much light as possible to brighten your home and give it a good feel.
7. Replace Light Bulbs. Check all the bulbs, make sure they work and match. Such a minor detail but makes a BIG difference! Consider changing light bulbs to a higher wattage, this can be an aid in brightening rooms and giving a more spacious feel to your rooms. Always check the light fixture and the maximum wattage and do not add bulbs above the recommended usage.
8. Purchase New Linens and Towels for Bathrooms! This can help aid in giving a new appearance to your bathrooms and gives it a fresh new move-in ready look.
9. Curb Appeal / Remove Debris and Trash! First impressions make a huge impact on potential buyers. Should your property have unwanted clutter around the exterior, it will not help in the marketing and selling of your home. Depending on the season and weather, consider cutting the grass, pulling weeds, planting a few flowers, check for peeling paint and do touch ups as required on the exterior of the house. A few hard hours of raking cleaning and picking up odds and ends etc., could add “thousands” to the sales price of your home.
10. Hire a Staging Company! Want to go that extra step, consider hiring a staging company to help you maximize room appeal and value to your home. Most realtors can provide referrals and/or a staging consultation. Feel free to ask me about how I can help with staging too.
11. Price Your Property Right from the Beginning! Many Sellers take the approach and attitude that they can always come down on price, this is not always the case! You potentially delay the sale by missing an entire group of buyers and go stale on the market. When this happens, many buyers feel if a home has been listed for a long time that there is something wrong with it. The best activity occurs during the first two to three weeks of the listing. After a few weeks on the market activity will begin to taper off and showings will cease. If your home is priced incorrectly from the beginning it will not get a lot of showings and the longer your home is on the market the more buyers will feel that it’s tainted or something’s wrong. Price your home right at the beginning to help get the most activity and a quicker sale.
12. Call Me. I offer a complimentary seller’s guide and home evaluation, so call me before you spend any time or money; let’s chat and do a walkthrough together and start the process right from the beginning.
As a CIR REALTY Agent and member of Leading Real Estate Companies of the World™, my goal is to ensure that you have the best real estate experience possible. Whether you are looking to sell your ....
Latest Blog Posts
Declutter for a cause: where to donate your unwanted household items in CalgaryBy Tyler Difley - April 5, 202It’s time for spring cleaning, and while the excitement surrounding the